Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Rhetorical analysis

The article I decided to read in depth was titled "Can you Hear me Now." As I read this article I felt that the author was informing the audience of how attached people are to their technology. It also seemed that he was trying to get the audience to take a break from their technology ever once in a while. In this article the writer used a lot of imagery. On of my favorite examples of this said "since our devices have become more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and increasingly feel like extensions of our minds." I don't know about you but I read that and I just picture my mind and my phone being connected. He also had a lot of stories and examples in this article and most of everything I was reading made me imagine stuff. I am not too sure how an audience would react to this article to tell you the truth. I feel that this article had two different reactions to it, people could have been like me a thought to themselves that they do need to stop being so attached to their technology. Or they could have said that they don't need to spend less time with technology because they aren't as attached as the author said we are. I do feel that the author succeeded in what he was intending to do, and more of the audience would agree with what he is saying then wouldn't. Overall I liked this article and I am kind of excited to write about it.

3 comments:

  1. First of all he is actually a she, but you know minor details :). I thought what you said about the audience reaction was interesting. When I read it I thought it kind of came across as more of a commentary. So the author was like "yo! we need to think about this" but not really offering any solutions. Like you said, the imagery in this one was really good. I like the imagery of watching your life as a BlackeBerry movie, very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that she didn't accomplish what she was trying to. Your goal as a writer is to get everyone to agree with you. So if she was only able to convince some people that they were on their phones too much, then I would say that she did well but didn't accomplish her goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the imagery as well! It really adds to the affectivness of the whole article but I agree that she isn't getting to all audiences, not exactly making people who didn;t originally agree to be on her side.

    ReplyDelete