Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Blog Post #1

A fallacy that I see happen all the time comes from our politics. In particular would be the example of Ad Populum in which you appeal to popular prejudices. The example the immediately came to my mind was raising taxes of the rich. Now there isn’t a particular quote I wanted to put down because I wanted to focus on the idea as a whole. Now the reason I believe this is a fallacy is with Ad Populum you will appeal to popularity. The reason this makes taxing the rich Ad Populum is there are more people under the income level required to have higher taxes then above. That means the Obama is appealing to the majority of the people to get the taxes raised.
The speech that I chose to analyze was the one from Henry V. And to begin I looked for Pathos and here are some examples that I found.
“The blind and bloody soldier with foul hand
Defile the locks of your shrill-shrieking daughters”
This is Pathos because he is saying “your shrill-shrieking daughter.” I don’t know about you but if someone starts talking about my daughter I am going to get pretty emotional and become protective over here. The next example of Pathos come from the following lines.
“If your pure maidens fall into the hands
Of hot and forcing violation?”
I believe this is also a good example of Pathos because I feel he is using something innocent namely the pure maidens and then kind of saying that this is what is going to happen if they do not give up. I also feel that he is saying that this will all be avoided if you give up as well as if they don’t it will be their fault for all that happens because he gave them the choice. This is a good example of pathos because it makes them feel that whatever happens is their fault.
The next thing I looked for was things that would go under Ethos. The first example of Ethos I found was in the following lines.
“Whiles yet my soldiers are in mu command;
Whiles yet the cool and temperate wind of grace”
I felt this was a good example of Ethos because he is giving himself credibility by saying that his men are under his command and the fact he has all these men with him gives him credibility.
The next example of Ethos I found comes from the lines.
“If I begin the battery once again, I will not leave the half-achieved Harfleur”
The reason I feel this is an example of Ethos is it is showing us that he didn’t just walk up and give this speech but he started the siege and then halted it to give this speech. I feel that line shows us that he has credibility because he was probably already winning the fight. It also shows that he has more credibility because it isn’t all talk and no walk. 
The last thing I looked at was Logos and the first example of it I found was in the following lines.
“If I begin the battery once again,
I will not leave the half-achieved Harfleur”
Logos is logic and it is logical that he is telling the truth and he won’t stop until it is over. The next example I found was in the lines that I used before that said the following.
“The blind and bloody soldier with foul hand
Defile the locks of your shrill-shrieking daughters”
I feel this is Logos because it is very logical that if the siege continues daughters will be defiled by his soldiers.

5 comments:

  1. Cool. I chose a lot of the same lines as you did. One difference though was that I put "The blind and bloody soldier" part under pathos. I think it works both ways. It's a logical thing with lots of emotion attached to it. I like how you put the same quote under both ethos and pathos. It's a good illustration of how a specific part of a speech can appeal to a person in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to think how we can look at an argument as a whole and pick out an overarching fallacy, as well as being able to find fallacies in the specific language used. Good insight there.

    This is indeed a very logical speech--logos, as we mentioned in class, can be on the sentence level as well as the whole speech. It is very logical because he is describing the terrible things that will happen to their city if they don't surrender; thus, if they want to prevent these things from happening, it would be logical to surrender.

    Nicely done,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with that fallacy. It is a popular way to appeal to the lower classes, so it is a popular agenda for some politicians. I think it's a little weird that it's so obvious too. But I guess that there really isn't much you can do about it anyway. Oh wait, you can. Stop voting for those politicians!

    Also, these are great examples of Ethos, pathos, and logos. Especially your last logos. Any father would want to protect their daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that was a cool example of a fallacy. I'd never thought of that issue that way before, but it makes a lot of sense that in order to get something done a politician would try to do something that would appeal to a majority of the people. I thought you had good ethos, pathos, and logos explanations and examples too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Alex I never thought of that as a fallacy, but it is a very good comparison. I thought your examples were really good, and the explanations made me realize them even more.

    ReplyDelete